Suspended Driver’s License Attorney in New York

Your New York State driver’s license can get suspended for all sorts of reasons and you may not even know that it was suspended. It is absolutely crucial to know what a license suspension is and the most common ways in which your New York license can be suspended.

Have a question about your suspended license? Post a comment at the bottom of this page and we will get back to you as soon as we can or call 888-883-5529 now to speak to an attorney.

Background Information

A suspension is different than a revocation. A revocation is an outright termination of your driving privileges for a minimum period of time. After that period of time, you can reapply for a new driver’s license at your local DMV (i.e. your old license is invalid). Once your driving privileges are restored and you are officially issued a new license, you can drive again.

However, a suspension is a temporary loss of one’s driving privileges for a fixed duration of time that terminates automatically. After the suspension ends, you will be allowed to drive again without having to apply for a new license. A suspension can last for only a few weeks or as long as a few years (depending on the offenses you committed and what caused the suspension).

Discovering that you have a suspended license in NY can be devastating. Imagine losing your ability to drive, even for just a few weeks. You would need to rely on others to get you everywhere you needed to go. Aside from making your life inconvenient, you could lose your job. A suspension can also prevent you from getting a job.

Remember, it is quite common for people to think that once their license is suspended they are at a “dead end” and cannot do anything about it. However, that is simply untrue!

A skilled suspended license attorney can help you avoid a license suspension altogether as well as get your driving privileges restored if they already were suspended.

What Causes a Suspended License?

The following are just a few of the most common reasons why your driver’s license could be suspended.

  • Driving Without Registration (VTL 401)
    • In New York, driving without registration is more severe than your average traffic ticket. Besides leading to a license suspension, if you are convicted of VTL 401 for not having your vehicle registered, you can incur a fine of up to $300 and can even be imprisoned for up to 15 days.
  • Driving Without Insurance (VTL 319)
    • Under VTL 319, all cars in New York must be properly insured. A conviction for driving without insurance is extremely serious. You can lose your license for up to 1 year, incur a fine of up to $1,500, and go to jail for up to 15 days.
  • DUI/DWI: Driving Under the Influence & Driving While Intoxicated (VTL 1192-1193)
    • If you are found guilty of DUI/DWI in New York, your driving privileges will be suspended. Depending on what level your blood alcohol content (BAC) was and whether you are a first-time or repeat offender will determine how long the license suspension will last.
    • If your BAC level is above 0.18%, you will likely be charged with Aggravated Driving While Intoxicated. If convicted, your license will be suspended for 1 year.
    • If your blood alcohol content (BAC) is over 0.08% but under 0.18%, you can be charged with Driving While Intoxicated (DWI). If convicted, your license will be suspended for 6 months.
  • DWAI: Driving While Ability Impaired (VTL 1192)
    • If you are convicted of Driving While Ability Impaired (DWAI), your license will be suspended for 90 days. DWAI is usually issued to motorists who are high while driving and/or driving under the influence of drugs. A second DWAI conviction within 5 years of your first could cause your license to be suspended for 6 months.
  • Having 11 or More Points on Your Driving Record
    • In New York, if you receive 11 or more points within 18 months, your license will be suspended.
    • Remember, moving violations have set point values, and the more moving violations you commit, the closer you will be to a suspension on your driving record.
    • Think about it: Getting convicted for talking on a cell phone (now a 5 point ticket) while driving 21 MPH over (a 6 point ticket) will cause your license to be suspended. How many New Yorkers do this on the Thruway daily?
CLICK HERE - More Ways Your NY License Can Be Suspended

The following traffic violations, depending on the severity of your circumstances, can also give rise to a suspended license in New York:

Lastly, the following non-moving violations and non-driving related offenses can also cause your driver’s license to be suspended:


Who Should You Contact?

If you are facing a license suspension or already have a suspended license, contact Adam H. Rosenblum of The Rosenblum Law Firm. His team of experienced New York suspended license attorneys can help you avoid a suspension or help you restore your driving privileges if they were already suspended. Call 888-883-5529 today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  • Oscar E. Tobias
    June 8, 2017

    Hello, i got a speeding ticket last summer of 2016 for going 20 over and 3 weeks ago i got another speeding ticket for going 60 in a 30, I went to the court date and they said i have to go back when i get by mail by court date, I think im facing possible license suspension, the clerk said try to get a reduction, but im not sure what is the actual best route to take, if you can please give my any ideas ill appreciate it thanks

    • RLF Attorneys
      June 14, 2017

      Oscar – In order to advise further, please provide the location of these incidents.

  • Mr Flechas
    May 31, 2017

    I have a valid New Jersey Drivers license however I also have a New York State IDENTIFICATION card with my New Jersey Address on it. I was required to get a new york state ID because I was in a construction union and NY state ID was required for my certifications. I am not a resident of NY State. I was pulled over earlier this week and I was told by the police officer that my NY State drivers license was suspended. I told the officer I do not have a NY state drivers license. The officer said that he CREATED a NY state drivers license based on my NY state ID. Now I have a court date and have to go to the DMV. I did a search on the NYS DMV website which said I have no suspensions and I also checked my NJ state license. Nothing is suspended. Is it legal for police officers to CREATE a drivers license for someone if they’ve never had a license in that state?

    • RLF Attorneys
      June 12, 2017

      Mr. Flechas – I have not heard of a situation such as yours before. I suggest you contact me at 888-883-5529 so we may discuss in further detail. Even if you are license in NJ, you do have a ‘driving record’ from NY. This, may, be what the officer was referring to.

  • Shanon
    May 16, 2017

    I just found out my license is suspended because my insurance lapsed. I had applied for a new policy for my vehicles and they said it was suspended. I phoned the DMV and of course she was rude, but stated I have to serve everyday the plates were not turned in. I have not been able to drive since July of 2016, due a medication. I did not realize I had to return plates. What can I do?

    • RLF Attorneys
      May 25, 2017

      Shanon – you should contact the DMV and inquire about the possibility of obtaining a restricted license until your privileges are fully restored.

  • Ernest Sileo
    May 15, 2017

    Hi, I had a speeding ticket conviction on 2/24/14. It’s past the 3 years from the date but it’s still showing on my license. I read that it won’t come off until the January after the 3 years. Is there any way to get it cleared off? I’m out of work and it’s hard to get a job driving trucks because my license doesn’t show up clean.

    • RLF Attorneys
      May 18, 2017

      Ernest, points do not ‘come off’ your driving record after 3 years. You may not receive 11 points in any 18 month window of time, as you will then be suspended. Additionally, added penalties are assessed based on point accumulation within this 18 month period of time. For your purposes, however, the issue will truly be how extensive of an abstract your potential employer requires.

  • Richard Wilson
    May 13, 2017

    Hello, I lost my job 3 years ago and was out of work for approximately one year, I fell behind on my child support, They suspended my license, I am back to work and have been making DOUBLE weekly payments for a solid 18 months to get caught up, I have written social services about getting my license back so I can get to work and continue making payments, they just won’t work with me. Can you help with this..??

    • RLF Attorneys
      May 18, 2017

      I suggest that you contact the DMV and ask whether a restricted license is possible.

1 5 6 7 8