Suspended NY Driver’s License

A New York State driver’s license can get suspended for a number of reasons. It is crucial to know what a license suspension is and the most common ways in which your New York driver’s license can be suspended.

Have a question about your suspended license? Post a comment at the bottom of this page and we will get back to you as soon as we can or call 888-883-5529 now to speak to an attorney.

Discovering that you have a suspended or revoked license in NY can be devastating. Imagine losing your ability to drive, even for just a few weeks. You would need to rely on others to get you everywhere you needed to go. Aside from making your life inconvenient, you could lose your job. A suspension can also prevent you from getting a job in the first place.

Remember, it is quite common for people to think that once their license is suspended they are at a “dead end” and cannot do anything about it. However, in most cases that is simply untrue!

A skilled suspended license attorney can help you avoid a license suspension altogether as well as get your driving privileges restored if they already were suspended.

What Does it Mean if Your NY License is Suspended?

A license suspension is, by definition, temporary and your license will be available to be reinstated after a specified time period. That period could be a fixed amount of time (known as a definite suspension) or based on certain conditions (an indefinite suspension).

If you’ve received a suspension of any kind, the DMV will send a notice by mail to the address on the license (that’s one reason it’s important to notify DMV if your address changes). The notice will include the reason for the suspension. For a definite suspension, the notice will state the start and end date of the suspension. For an indefinite suspension, the DMV will note what needs to be done to reinstate the license.

You can also find out about a license suspension by going to Register or login using existing credentials, then click “Restore My Driving Privileges” from the main menu.

What Causes a Suspended License?

The following are just a few of the most common reasons why your driver’s license could be suspended.

  • Driving Without Insurance (VTL 319)
    • Under VTL 319, all cars in New York must be properly insured. A conviction for driving without insurance is extremely serious. You can lose your license for up to 1 year, incur a fine of up to $1,500, and go to jail for up to 15 days.
  • DUI/DWI: Driving Under the Influence & Driving While Intoxicated (VTL 1192-1193)
    • If you are found guilty of DUI/DWI in New York, your driving privileges will be suspended. Depending on what level your blood alcohol content (BAC) was and whether you are a first-time or repeat offender will determine how long the license suspension will last.
    • If your BAC level is above 0.18%, you will likely be charged with Aggravated Driving While Intoxicated. If convicted, your license will be suspended for 1 year.
    • If your blood alcohol content (BAC) is over 0.08% but under 0.18%, you can be charged with Driving While Intoxicated (DWI). If convicted, your license will be suspended for 6 months.
  • DWAI: Driving While Ability Impaired (VTL 1192)
    • If you are convicted of Driving While Ability Impaired (DWAI), your license will be suspended for 90 days. DWAI is usually issued to motorists who are high while driving and/or the testing indicates that they are impaired below the limit of .08. A second DWAI conviction within 5 years of your first could cause your license to be suspended for 6 months.
  • Having 11 or More Points on Your Driving Record
    • In New York, if you receive 11 or more points within 18 months, your license will be suspended.
    • Remember, moving violations have set point values, and the more moving violations you commit, the closer you will be to a suspension on your driving record.
    • Think about it: Getting convicted for talking on a cell phone (a 5 point ticket) while driving 21 MPH over (a 6 point ticket) will cause your license to be suspended. How many New Yorkers do this on the Thruway daily?
CLICK HERE - More Ways Your NY License Can Be Suspended

The following traffic violations, depending on the severity of your circumstances, can also give rise to a suspended license in New York:

Lastly, the following non-moving violations and non-driving related offenses can also cause your driver’s license to be suspended:

What is the Difference Between a Revoked and Suspended License?

The difference between revoked license and a suspended license is that a revocation means your license has been cancelled. Like a suspension, there is a revocation period – usually a year or more — where you will be unable to drive. Unlike with a suspension, however, when the revocation period ends you will have to re-apply for a new license. In most cases, you’ll have to request permission from the DMV before you apply and the DMV may require you to take the written and/or driving test again (and pay all the associated fees). There is also a chance your request will be denied.

Your license could be revoked if you:

How to Get Your License Reinstated

In some cases, a suspended license can be reinstated simply by paying a fee or fine. However, in many cases you will need an attorney to help negotiate the conditions for reinstatement, reduce the fees, or even fight the underlying reason for the suspension. Reinstating a revoked license is typically more complicated and will almost certainly require the aid of an attorney.

Go to our page on How to Reinstate a Suspended License in NYreinstating a suspended license for more information.

Who Should You Call?

If you or a loved one has had your license suspended or revoked, don’t panic! With the help of a skilled attorney you may be able to remove or mitigate the consequences. Call the Rosenblum Law Firm at 888-203-2619 to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys to find out how we can help you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  • Karen Baker
    February 12, 2018

    Hi, I was stopped today (not sure why, not speeding) and trooper comes to my window and asks my name then says I have a suspended drivers license. I ask her suspended for what? she comes back and says it’s a failure to appear 2 years ago for a speeding ticket. I vaguely remember one, but really? They can suspend my license for one ticket? other than that one, I haven’t had a ticket in 10 or more years, I have a clean driving record. Help!

    • Ronen Cohen
      February 19, 2018

      Failure to answer or pay a ticket can result in license suspension. Driving with a suspended license is a misdemeanor offense in NY. What offense were you specifically charged with after being stopped?

  • Victor
    October 13, 2017

    I need your help nov21 back to court for driver license suspended and insurance lapes

    • RLF Attorneys
      October 23, 2017

      Victor – what are the charges against you?

  • John
    September 26, 2017

    I was suspended in June on a DWAI conviction. In July I applied for a non-driver ID card, now my abstract is showing my license is surrendered. Will this affect my license suspension termination in anyway? Tomorrow is 90 days, and I will have meet all other requirements for discharge. I’m worried that getting the non-driver ID may require me to re-license, which will kick off a 25 year lookback (I had 2 convictions in the 90’s). DMV never informed me of any issue I may have when getting the non-driver ID – I’m very worried about anything going wrong as my job is dependent on a license.

    • RLF Attorneys
      September 28, 2017

      John – due to the serious potential consequences, I strongly suggest you contact us for a free consultation at 888-883-5529

  • Jim Viza
    June 29, 2017

    My son received a NY drivers license suspension notice (90 days) due to possession of a fake license (he was 20 at the time, just turned 21). Since this was his first time caught with a fake license the DMV is suspending the license for “ony” 90 days. Is there a way to fight this?

    • RLF Attorneys
      July 3, 2017

      Jim –

      In order to properly advise you of the options, I suggest you contact my office to clarify the facts surrounding the summons your son received.

  • Denis A.
    June 21, 2017


    I have 12 pints pending on my record as of March 2017. The 12 pts were the result of 2 traffic stops in total. On the 18th of June this year I received another 5 or 6 pts for Operating Motor Vehicle while using Mobile Device. I am a resident of NYS and will most likely face as suspension. My question is how long will my suspension be? I am a college student and work 3 jobs, will this give me any reasons to receive a conditional license for the time being?

    Thank you,

    Denis A.

    • RLF Attorneys
      June 27, 2017

      Denis, In the state of New York once you reach the 11 point mark you are suspended. You may go to the DMV and apply for a restricted use license. Keep in mind it is up to the DMV on whether or not they want to issue it to you.

1 6 7 8