Colorado Drivers with New York Traffic Tickets

If you are a New York driver that received a ticket in Colorado click here

Whether you are planning a visit to Yankee Stadium or going skiing in the Rocky Mountains, there are a few things you need to know about out-of-state traffic tickets. Believe it or not, your home state will usually know if you get a traffic ticket in another state.

Also, depending on what state issued you a driver’s license, you may even have points added onto your driving record for the out-of-state violation. Make sure you familiarize yourself with the following information and are aware of the ramifications of out-of-state traffic tickets on a Colorado and New York license.

Driver’s License Compact

Both New York and Colorado signed the Driver’s License Compact. As such, NY and CO freely share driver information with one another.

If you are convicted of a NY traffic ticket but are a CO driver, CO will be notified about the ticket you received. This also applies if you are licensed in NY and get a ticket in CO.

Colorado Drivers

In almost all cases, Colorado will not add points onto your driver’s license for minor out-of-state traffic offenses.

This means you can get convicted of a NY speeding ticket (and it will be put on your CO driving record), but the violation will not put any points on your CO license. However, if you commit a major out-of-state traffic offense, any points that CO would normally give for the offense will be put on your driving record. In Colorado, very reckless driving along with vehicular homicide and DWI/DUI almost always count as major offenses. Nevertheless, even if points are not tacked onto your license for all offenses, you still face serious consequences. 

Remember, the traffic violation will be put on your driving record, serves as a red flag whenever you get pulled over in or out of CO, can cause your insurance rate to increase, and may compel you to pay a fine.

New York Drivers

If you have a New York driver’s license and receive a Colorado traffic ticket, in most cases, New York will not add points onto your driver’s license.

According to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, “The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions.” Nevertheless, NY makes exceptions for alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. As such, if you are caught speeding in Colorado, points will not be added onto your New York driver’s license.

However, as we noted before, your insurance carrier will have the ability to raise your insurance rates due to the violation you committed.

Losing Your Driving Privileges

If you are an out-of-state driver and accrue 11 points or more, you will lose your New York driving privileges.

This accumulation of 11 points will be determined based on the New York point system, not your home state’s point system. Thus, if you are found guilty of speeding 41 miles over the posted speed limit or get convicted twice for speeding 21-30 miles over the limit, you will no longer be allowed to drive in the State of New York for a specified duration of time. Remember, your driver’s license will not be suspended by your home state and NY does not have the authority to suspend an out-of-state driver’s license.

However, since CO and NY are both members of the Driver’s License Compact, CO will honor the “suspension” of your New York driving privileges even though it will not take away your ability to drive elsewhere.

Driver Responsibility Assessment (DRA)

Furthermore, if you are convicted of a NY traffic ticket for an offense or set of offenses that amounts to 6 or more points under New York’s Point System, you will also be required to pay a Driver Responsibility Assessment (DRA). This applies regardless of whether you are an out-of-state driver or licensed in NY. If you get 6 points in 18 months, the assessment will be $100 per year for 3 years. If you get more than 6 points in 18 months, an additional $25 per year will be charged for each additional point you receive. This means 1 extra point will cost you $75 more (since the assessment lasts for 3 years). If you get convicted of a drug – or alcohol-related offense or you refuse to submit to a chemical test, the assessment will be $250 per year for 3 years.

Although it might be tempting to simply plead guilty and pay the fine, doing so will not make these negative consequences go away. In fact, the conviction is the very thing that brings most of them on.

Who Should You Contact?

If you recently received a New York traffic ticket, contact The Rosenblum Law Firm today at 888-883-5529.

NY Drivers That Recieve Traffic Tickets in Colorado

If you are a New York driver and you received a traffic ticket in Colorado we suggest that you contact one of the law firms listed below: