Failure to Notify DMV of Address Change in 10 Days

By: Adam H. Rosenblum Esq. | Last Updated:

DMV signIf you permanently move and your address has changed in New York then you are required by law to notify the New York Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days.  It is pretty simple to change your address and New York’s DMV affords you several options in taking care of it.  Below we discuss the fines and penalties associated with breaking this law and have listed several methods that will help you update your address with the DMV.These methods will also help you update the address and order new DMV related documents such as a new driver’s license, ID, learner’s permit and car registration.  This process can also be completed in person at one of New York’s Department of Motor Vehicle locations.

What Are The Fines And Penalties For Not Updating My Address With The DMV?

New York’s  Vehicle and Traffic Law Article 19 section 509-8 of states that failing to notify the DMV that your address has changed will result in a $75.00 fine with an additional $93.00 surcharge.  There are no points associated with failing to notify the DMV of an address change.Remember that changing the address you have on file with the United States Postal Service (USPS) does not automatically update your address on file with the Department of Motor Vehicles and vice versa.  Click here if you would like to change your address online.  Below are the steps required to change your address with the Department of Motor Vehicles either by mail or by phone.

How Do I Change My Address By Mail?

  • First fill out the MV-232 form here.
  • Check the appropriate boxes of which document you would like to order and pay the appropriate fee as listed below.  If you do not need any new documents then leave the area blank and you are not required to make any payment.  Documents usually take about four weeks to arrive in the mail.
New Driver’s License or Learner’s Permit $17.50
New ID Card $8.00
10 Year ID Card $6.50

Mail the form and your payment (if needed) to:

DMV License Production Bureau P.O. Box 2895Albany, New York 12220-0895

What Documents Do I Need To Change My Address Over The Phone?

You should have your current photo ID ready so that you can provide your identification number to a DMV representative on the phone.  Click here for a list of DMV call centers that you can contact.  Have your new address information handy and a credit card so that you can process your payment.  Below are the costs if you want to change your address over the phone.

New Driver’s License or Learner’s Permit $22.50
New ID Card $13.00
10 Year ID Card $11.50
New Registration Document (by phone only) $8.00


Should I Hire An Attorney?

Failing to update your address with the DMV ranks fairly low on the severity of fines and penalties that a motorist can possibly be charged with. An attorney is generally not needed for this type of offense however many times a police officer can pull someone over for another traffic violation and issue the failure to notify DMV change of address ticket along with other traffic violations such as speeding. If you have been charged with multiple traffic violations, contact Rosenblum Law today for a free consultation. Our firm charges one flat fee to handle multiple tickets.