Driving With an Expired License in New York

By: Adam H. Rosenblum Esq. | Last Updated:

Believe it or not, many individuals who step foot behind the wheel of a car do not actually have a valid license to drive.  Some of them are young drivers eager to get behind the wheel before they official pass their road test.  Similarly, other individuals simply fail to renew their driver’s license.

NY VTL 509 prohibits a person from driving without a license. Being convicted of violating VTL 509 can result in a fine of up to $300.

What Happens If I Drive My Car Without a License or My License Has Been Suspended?

Driving without your driver’s license itself  (i.e. the actual document) because you forgot it at home or misplaced it is not as serious as driving while your privileges have been suspended or revoked.

Driving while suspended means that you are defying the rules of the court.  The offense results in fines ranging from $200 to $5,000 and you can be charged with Aggravated Unlicensed Operation, a crime even if you were not aware that you had an unresolved ticket to take care of.

The penalties for AUO vary depending on the degree (i.e. how serious the offense is).  Generally, if someone suffered a severe personal injury or alcohol was involved, then you can be facing much more severe fines and penalties–including jail time.

Why Should I Hire An Attorney If I am Being Charged With Driving While Suspended?

Remember that Aggravated Unlicensed Operation is a crime in New York and results in a permanent criminal record.  New York has very high penalties and is strict when it comes to crimes that involve purposely disobeying the law.  It is important that you try not to handle this matter on your own as there is much at risk including your freedom and your future.

Hiring an experienced traffic defense and criminal attorney is you best option in protecting your rights and making sure that you get the best results in your case. An attorney can also explain the legal process and help prepare a solid defense to help you beat the charges.

Who Should You Contact?

If you recently received a traffic ticket for driving with a revoked license or AUO, contact Rosenblum Law. Our attorneys have years of experience fighting traffic tickets, negotiating with prosecutors, and getting the results you are looking for. E-mail or call us today at 888-883-5529.