- Do not speed and follow all of the rules of the road.
- Drive within 5-10 mph of surrounding traffic. It is human nature to notice things that are different from the rest, which means that if you are driving faster than the other cars on the road, police will notice you and give you the ticket.
- Do not speed if you are the only car on the New York Thruway.
- Drive in the middle of the pack. If you lead the pack and the pack is speeding, then you will receive the New York speeding ticket.
- Drive in the right lane and use the left lane only to pass another vehicle.
- When changing lanes, use your signals and proceed cautiously.
- Do not tailgate, drive aggressively or change lanes frequently because such behavior will attract the attention of police officers.
- Follow a “Rabbit”. If you cannot find a pack of cars while driving on the New York Thruway near Albany, locate a car who is traveling at the speed you want to go and just lock your gas pedal in cruise control going his speed while you stay about 50 yards back. If there is a trooper, he will ticket him instead of you.
- Do not drive a red or other bright colored automobile. Again, the point is that you do not want to draw attention to yourself on the road.
- Search out and make a mental note of speed cameras. More and more speed cameras are being mounted along highways. Sometimes speed cameras are placed on top of vehicles on the side of the road.
Even with carefully observing the ten tips listed above, you might be stopped by a New York police officer. If so, there are some other simple hints on how you might be able to “get out of the ticket”.
- Maintain a good driving record because police tend to be more lenient with good drivers.
- Pulling over immediately and staying in your car shows your cooperation to the police officer and helps reduce any tension.
- Keep your hands visible on the steering wheel. This is another way of helping the officer feel at ease.
- Be polite and courteous to the officer when he asks you questions. Police are more likely to be tough to an argumentative driver than to a respectful one.
- When asked for license and registration, move slowly to avoid making the police nervous.
- Although some say excuses help avoid a New York speeding ticket, others insist they do not.
There are also many myths about speeding tickets in New York. Many Canadians who are driving through New York State receive speeding tickets, If you are a Canadian caught speeding and are looking for ways to fight your ticket click here.